The Enemy Walks In is the first episode of Season 2 of Alias and the 23rd episode overall. Sydney finds herself face-to-face with her mother, whose intentions for her daughter are made chillingly clear. Meanwhile Sydney continues her search for Vaughn, not knowing if he is dead or alive after being swept away by a wall of water in Taipei. Will's life is forever changed when he learns the truth about SD-6 and Sydney's life as a double agent. Dixon must decide whether or not to inform Sloane of Sydney's suspicious activities.
Sydney recounts her most recent mission to a CIA psychiatrist: Tied to a chair somewhere in Taipei, Khasinau introduces her to "The Man" — who is actually her mother, Irina Derevko. Saying that she should have killed Sydney when she was born, Irina shoots her in the shoulder to make a point, then exits. Sydney, however, escapes by smashing the chair against a water valve.
She rendezvous with Jack, who has rescued a badly beaten Will, and explains what happened. She and Jack then reveal the truth about themselves and SD-6 to their panicking friend.
Jack enacts a cover-up: He tells Sloane that he gave Sydney the "Freelancer" call sign because he didn't trust Sloane and that Will's kidnapping led them to Khasinau, who's organization is now fractured. He pleges loyalty to Sloane and convinces him to spare Will's life. As a consequence, Dixon apologizes to Sydney for questioning her loyalty.
Sloane then sends Sydney to the French estate known as Le Petite Rose to plant a phone bug in the office of Jean Luc Rave, a Khasinau cohort and member of the French National Assembly. Sydney gives Marshall's bug to Agent Weiss, who inserts a delayed transmitter that controls what SD-6 will hear.
Having parachuted onto the estate, Sydney finds an unconscious Vaughn about to be butchered by Khasinau. She revives him with an adrenaline shot to the heart. He explains that he used a screwdriver to open a grate, which allowed him to escape the flooded room. When the psychiatrist questions her about Vaughn, she gets defensive
Meanwhile, Jack ensures Will's safety by drugging him and placing him at the scene of a drug bust. Under media scrutiny, Will claims his story about SD-6 is a lie. His reputation is ruined, but his life is saved.
The CIA sends a team, including Sydney, to Barcelona, based on info gleaned from the bug. The "Bible," an operations manual for the Khasinau/Irina cartel that had been in Taipei, is to be given to Khasinau on a Barcelona pier. SD-6 is unaware. But in an ambush, Irina shoots Weiss and the players scatter. Sydney trails Khasinau, who has the Bible, to a warehouse where they're confronted by Irina. Irina kills Khasinau and takes the Bible. Before leaving, she tells Sydney, "Truth takes time."
Back home, Sydney tells Will that she's glad she doesn't have to lie to him any more and then leaves to eulogize Emily Sloane. At the CIA headquarters, Irina comes in from the cold and surrenders.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Bradley Cooper as Will Tippin
- Merrin Dungey as Francie Calfo
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Lena Olin as Irina Derevko
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
- Derrick O'Connor as Alexander Khasinau
- Greg Grunberg as Eric Weiss
- Patricia Wettig as Dr. Judy Barnett
- Clayton Landey as CIA Officer Wilcox
- Roger Lim as Gasping Soldier
- Dayna Adams as Receptionist
- Todd Karli as Newscaster
- Danny Romero as Reporter #1
- Jamie McShane as CIA Agent
- Chris Harrison as Reporter #2
- Tricia Nickell as Reporter #3
- Stuart W. Yee as The Tester
- Ron Yuan as Haz Mat Guy
- Michael Calder as FBI Agent
- Number 47: According to Jack, The Bible is going to be handled to Khasinau at the port of Barcelona, pier 347.
- When Vaughn's in Khasinau's lab with the other bodies, Khasinau preps him with iodine. Later, after Sydney comes in and Khasinau hightails it out of there, the iodine on Vaughn's chest is suddenly gone.
- The introduction from Sydney has now been replaced with a CIA profile, voiced by an uncredited Greg Grunberg (Agent Eric Weiss) who is childhood friends with Alias series creator J.J. Abrams.
- In the first 5 minutes when Sydney is talking with her mom and they cut from Irina to Sydney you can tell they used shots from last season and new shots from this season because Sydney's blue wig is styled differently between shots. In some shots the hair is brushed under in other shots it hangs perfectly straight.
- David Anders and Lena Olin join the regular cast of this episode though David Anders does not actually appear in the episode.
- This episode does not feature the standard opening title sequence.
- Where did Vaughn get a screwdriver when he was locked in a hallway with ultimately life-threatening liquid completely submerging him? And how did he manage to climb up that ventilation shaft with no footholds or climbing equipment.
- "I Wanna Stay" by Gemma Hayes
- "Farewell" by Rosie Thomas
- "Spy" by Daniel Lenz
- 20181 Northridge Rd, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Hollywood Forever Cemetery - 6000 Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
Allusions and ReferencesEdit
None at this time.
- Irinia: You must have known this day would come. I could have prevented all this, of course. You were so small when you were born. It would have been so easy. Tell me... Sydney... who sent you here? You must tell me.
- Sydney: Or what? I'm grounded?
- Will: So this is what your life is, lying to everybody all the time. I've only been doing it for a few days and it's killing me.
- Sydney: When you found out about me, I was just terrified because I saw what happened when Danny learned the truth. But I was also selfishly so relieved because it meant that you knew, and I didn't have to think every time we spoke. I could just be me.
- Will: (making a statement to the press for SD-6 to hear) My problem with heroin goes back three years. I'm embarrassed for myself and for my family when I tell you that most of what I've written in that time has been complete fiction including my most recent report about an organization that I called SD-6. These were desperate attempts...
- Sydney: Have I heard from Will? No.
- Francie: Well, me neither and there's this story on the news right now. Will wrote a story in today's paper that wasn't supposed to get printed unless he went missing.
- Sydney: What was Will's story about?
- Francie: It's about the murder of your fiance, and some conspiracy, and some group called SD-6.
|< Season 1||Alias Season 2||Season 3 >|
|#01||The Enemy Walks In||#07||The Counteragent||#13||Phase One||#19||Endgame|
|#02||Trust Me||#08||Passage (Part 1)||#14||Double Agent||#20||Countdown|
|#03||Cipher||#09||Passage (Part 2)||#15||A Free Agent||#21||Second Double|
|#04||Dead Drop||#10||The Abduction||#16||Firebomb||#22||The Telling|
|#05||The Indicator||#11||A Higher Echelon||#17||A Dark Turn|
|#06||Salvation||#12||The Getaway||#18||Truth Takes Time|