Authorized Personnel Only(2) is the 2nd episode of Season 4 and the 68th episode overall of the show Alias. Sydney unwillingly teams up with her father to hunt down a modern-day samurai. Meanwhile, Nadia doesn't want to go back to the spy business, but is forced to when Sydney's life is jeopardized. Sydney finds out the reason behind Jack's misdeed and Nadia makes an unsettling promise.
Sloane plans for Sydney to talk to Nadia about Vadik, whom she once tracked. Sloane says that Nadia quit Intelligence and returned to Argentina after they found a Rambaldi artifact and handed it over to the US government. In Argentina, Nadia won't return but tells Sydney that Vadik's right hand is Tomazaki.
At home, Sydney tells Vaughn about Wittenburg - she learned that day that her father had killed her mother, Irina Derevko.
Tomazaki has disappeared. They learn that five years ago he unsuccessfully tried to steal the Shintaro sword from a London museum. Sloane suggests they steal the sword as bait. At Dixon's suggestion, they enlist Marshall. In the museum, Sydney triggers the alarms but manages to steal the sword and, with Jack's help, escapes the police.
Later Jack tells Sloane that he didn't tell Sydney everything in Wittenburg.
Dixon arranges to sell the Shintaro sword to Tomazaki in Rio de Janiero. Tomazaki's jailed thug tells Jack that Vadik is Tomazaki. At the agreed meeting, Tomazaki kidnaps Sydney. Vaughn asks Nadia for help. Tomazaki asks a perplexed Sydney how she found out about the hit. He tortures her. He says he was supposed to assassinate her but the day before the hit, his client was killed.
Nadia steals a key card from a Tomazaki associate and saves Sydney from drowning; Tomazaki knocks her out. He attacks Sydney with the sword but she runs him through. Before he dies, he says that Irina Derevko hired him to kill her.
Sloane announces that Nadia has joined APO. Sydney tells Jack that Tomazaki had the contract. He doesn't know why Irina wanted Sydney dead. Vaughn comforts a shaken Sydney.
Nadia and Sydney travel to Moscow, where Sydney had Irina interred. Sydney tells Nadia she has no idea who killed her. Nadia swears that she'll kill whoever murdered their mother.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Mía Maestro as Nadia Santos
- Greg Grunberg as Eric Weiss
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
- Vaughn refers to a museum guard as a "tango". This use of the Military signal for the letter "T" on a com channel during an operation denotes a terrorist. While the guard is hostile to their op, he is clearly not a terrorist. While APO may characterize a hostile differently than CIA, this is not the first time we've seen the likes of Vaughn and Sydney pitted against civilian security forces. They were never called "tango" before.
- Last episode of the series written by J.J. Abrams.
- When Marshall Flinkman is providing Sydney with background on the mysterious international terrorist Vadik, Marshall refers to two major crimes attributed to Vadik. The first is a major bombing in Pakistan; the second is the assassination of the Premier of "Kafiristan". Pakistan is, of course, a real country. "Kafiristan," however, is a fictious place - but not one invented for Alias. It's an homage to both Rudyard Kipling and John Huston. "Kafiristan" was the fictional Himalayan country to which Kipling and Huston's heroes Peachy and Carney ventured off to become Kings of, in The Man Who Would Be King.
- The restaurant in the opening scene - supposedly set in Argentina - was actually in Malibu and Bruce Willis and his kids had been dining in there whilst filming was taking place. Jennifer Garner made a point of going in and saying hello.
- "A Dios Le Pido" by Juanes
- "The Wind" by Cat Stevens
- Los Angeles County Metro Red Line, Los Angeles, California, USA
Allusions and ReferencesEdit
- Sydney: You're sure she really left? Fake quitting seems to be all the rage.
- Marshall: Am I dead?
- Sydney: You've been recruited.
- Jack: Get in now you can be stubborn later!
- Thug: You don't frighten me.
- Jack: Then clearly you're an idiot.
|< Season 3||Alias Season 4||Season 5 >|
|#01||Authorized Personnel Only (Part 1)||#07||Detente||#13||Tuesday||#19||In Dreams...|
|#02||Authorized Personnel Only (Part 2)||#08||Echoes||#14||Nightingale||#20||The Descent|
|#03||The Awful Truth||#09||A Man Of His Word||#15||Pandora||#21||Search & Rescue|
|#04||Ice||#10||The Index||#16||Another Mister Sloane||#22||Before The Flood|
|#05||Welcome To Liberty Village||#11||The Road Home||#17||A Clean Conscience|