A Missing Link is the fourth episode of Season 3 of Alias and the 48th episode overall. Sydney discovers a link to her missing two years in the form of Simon Walker, the dangerous and sexy leader of a group determined on retrieving deadly biological weapons. Meanwhile, Vaughn struggles with his own feelings of jealousy and longing while Sydney is on her mission, aware of the pressures his job is putting on his marriage to Lauren Reed. Jack takes matters into his own hands to protect his daughter, purposely revealing Sydney's deadly secret to Dixon in order to preserve her position inside the CIA.
As Syd and Jack view a tape, Lazarey says "Julia" before he dies.
A team stole four vials of Ebola from a French epidemiology lab. Lauren and Syd question Laszlo Bogdan, a team member who was infected and captured. He says The Covenant plans to mutate the virus … and his team was set for a second heist. Dixon IDs the team, led by a deadly freelancer named Simon Walker. Syd is to pose as a security expert, join Walker's team and track whatever they steal back to The Covenant.
A flirtatious Vaughan gives Syd a lipstick tracking device. In Sevilla, a disguised Syd meets Walker. He calls her Julia and greets her with a hot kiss. He says he's missed her. Syd is coy and says she wants to work with him again. "What, no future in murder?" he asks. Meanwhile, Syd meets the crew. They test her by making her steal a 150 carat diamond necklace from Princess Demetria of Greece. Walker gives her a tranquilizer gun and a knife, then calls the police. She has seven minutes to do it.
Dressed as a maid, she dopes the guard and enters the suite. The princess is sleeping; Syd dismantles a phone, creating an amplifier, and cracks the safe containing the necklace. As the police arrive, she darts the princess and jumps out the window into a pool far below. She returns to Walker with the necklace.
On the plane home, Vaughn, who had heard the whole thing, asks her what "Julia" was all about. She's mum, admitting she can't trust him because of Lauren. At the CIA Jack says Vaughn has been snooping. Syd considers admitting her guilt.
Marshall creates a safecracking device for Syd. Dixon calls a meeting with Syd, Jack and Vaughn. Jack has shown him the video of Lazarey's murder and told him Syd was conspiring to keep it a secret. Dixon is displeased but says that she was not responsible. He prohibits Vaughn from mentioning this to Lauren. Syd realizes Jack manipulated the situation so the NSC, ie., Lauren, wouldn't find out. Later, Syd apologizes to Vaughn.
In Spain, Walker receives pictures of Syd and Vaughn. Syd returns to Walker, and as they kiss she tries to extract info — she learns they met in Algeria. But the game is up and he puts a knife to her throat and shows her the photos. She says Vaughn is her supplier. Vauhgn calls Marshall, telling him to create a criminal record for himself on Interpol, which he does just before Walker checks it.
The team plans to go to a storage facility 35 miles outside Ibiza, run by disease control ministry. They'll have five minutes to get the package, a temperature-sensitive biological element. Sark walks into the safe house to talk about the deal! Syd manages to elude his notice. Lauren tries to pry info about The Covenant from Sloan. He says that they'll be able to create a bio-weapon against specific targets with the new theft. Sloane baits Lauren, says she in her job because of her father, a Senator.
Walker and Julia break into the facility's refrigerated vault. Syd has about a minute to crack the safe, but Marshall's device won't work. She reroutes the hardware and breaks in before the temperature rises too high. They steal the canister and put it in a cooler. As the switch vehicles, Syd grabs the transmitter from the lipstick. Vaughn is in the other vehicle! They've discovered he's CIA. To gain some control over the situation, Syd stabs him in the ribs. Walker then kicks him down a hill and they leave in a new vehicle.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Melissa George as Lauren Reed
- Greg Grunberg as Eric Weiss
- David Anders as Julian Sark
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
- Justin Theroux as Simon Walker
- Clifton Collins Jr. as Javier Parez
- Ray Proscia as Laszlo Bogdan
- Amanda Foreman as Carrie Bowman
- Elizabeth Payne as Carolyn
- Timothy V. Murphy as Avery Russet
- Elena Evangelo as Princess Demetria
- Carlos Del Olmo as Bouncer
- Fernando Jiménez as Police Officer
- Marco Zunino as Hotel Manager.
- When editing the details on the Interpol database entry, Marshall enters Vaughn's height as 1.60m. This is a common problem with scriptwriters applying the metric system. 1.60 meters translates to 5'3 and the actor Michael Vartan is actually 6' or 1.83 meters.
- In the pool, the diamond necklace was around Syd's left ankle, in the van it is around her right ankle.
- International titles:
- German: Unbekannter Liebhaber (Unknown Lover)
- French: Chaînon manquant (Missing link)
- Julia Thorne - Simon Walker's team
- "Funba Rumba" by Chucho Merchan (unchanged in Netflix version)
- "Emotion Lotion" by Chucho Merchan
- "Kool As A Rool" by Chucho Merchan (unchanged in Netflix version)
- Figueroa Hotel - 939 S. Figueroa Street, Downtown, Los Angeles, California, USA
Allusions and ReferencesEdit
|< Season 2||Alias Season 3||Season 4 >|
|#01||The Two||#07||Prelude||#13||After Six||#19||Hourglass|
|#02||Succession||#08||Breaking Point||#14||Blowback||#20||Blood Ties|
|#04||A Missing Link||#10||Remnants||#16||Taken||#22||Resurrection|
|#05||Repercussions||#11||Full Disclosure||#17||The Frame|