Rendezvous is the 21st episode of Season 1 of Alias. Will's life is about to change as he is sent to find the person responsible for leaking information to him about SD-6. Meanwhile, Sloane finds himself on the cusp of finally tracking down Khasinau when SD-6 captures "The Man's" right-hand man, Mr. Sark. Dixon becomes suspicious of Sydney's activities.
When SD-6 agents break up the diamonds-for-ampule exchange in Denpassar, Vaughn lobs a flash grenade into the courtyard. Sydney tries to escape and injures her shoulder while fighting Dixon and she still wears a veil, so he has no idea that he's battling his own partner.
Vaughn handcuffs Sark to a gate and recovers the ampule. Weiss, who has been monitoring the situation via remote, demands that his partner stay with the captive. Vaughn, however, disobeys CIA orders and leaves his post, in order to rescue Sydney. Moments later he returns to find that Sark has disappeared.
Meanwhile, Jack is determined to find the identity of "Deep Throat." He instructs Will to tell the mysterious source that he knows all about "the circumference" and that he wants a meeting.
In London, Sloane meets with the Alliance, and threatens to resign if they won’t let his cancer-stricken wife die in peace. But he is surprised to discover that the Alliance knows all about Edward Poole’s deception, as well as the truth behind the murder of Jean Briault. Ultimately, the members decide to let Emily live, as her death appears to be imminent.
When Sydney returns to SD-6, she learns that Sark has been apprehended. Dixon is suspicious of her absence and notices her injured shoulder.
Over a glass of expensive wine, Sloane proposes to Sark that if he will help SD-6 find Khasinau, his life will be spared. Sark agrees.
Vaughn has a new dilemma at the CIA, when Weiss chastises him for having let Sark escape. Vaughn’s feelings for Sydney are clouding his judgment, and jeopardizing both of their jobs.
For their next mission, Sydney and Dixon must go to a Paris nightclub, where Sark will deliver the ampule to Khasinau and during the meeting, Dixon will steal pages of a Rambaldi manuscript from a safe.
To crack the safe’s encryption mechanism, Sydney will need to monitor Khasinau’s heartbeat with a special ring (from Marshall, of course), which will then transmit the pulse to Dixon’s cellphone - who will then be able to open the sophisticated safe.
Meanwhile, Will establishes a meeting with "Deep Throat." A location is set Paris and Jack will monitor the conversation using a hidden microphone in Will’s jacket.
Before Paris, Vaughn gives Sydney her countermission - to deliver the real Rambaldi pages to the CIA and give fakes to SD-6. But she senses that he is being unusually blunt possibly cold with her, and she now wonders why he is acting so oddly.
In the Paris club, Sydney assumes one of her sexiest identities a vamp-like cabaret singer. While performing from the audience, she holds her hand on Khasinau’s chest long enough to record his heartbeat while face to face with the one man who can also help her find her mother.
Moments later, she spots Will with Deep Throat’s men, being escorted through the nightclub at gunpoint... She interrupts the interrogation, flies into action and overpowers the armed men. Will is alarmed - he has never seen Sydney like this - and they escape to Jack’s car. She is furious with her father for involving Will, until Jack explains how this unknown informant has been trying to expose SD-6 publicly.
During the night, Dixon recalls the mission to Mt. Aconcagua and Sydney having used the code name "Freelancer" on a satellite phone. When he asks about her injured shoulder, she explains that she fell while hiking, but he is suspicious.
Sloane explains that despite the chaos in Paris, they can still track Sark because of a substance added to the wine. In a private moment, Sloane thanks Sydney for not reporting Emily’s breach of security he even expresses his own regret for having Danny Hecht terminated.
Will is moved to a CIA safehouse. Vaughn says that he may need to enter the Witness Protection Program for safety or even be recruited.
Later, at the hospital, Emily learns that her cancer is in remission, but Sloane doesn’t know how to react. How will he convince the Alliance to let her live?
A team of SD-6 agents track Sark to his location, hoping to find Khasinau as well. Instead, they find a room with medical equipment. Using a blood transfusion to hide his trail, Sark is somewhere else the CIA safehouse. And when Will opens the door, Sark fires at point-blank range.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Bradley Cooper as Will Tippin
- Merrin Dungey as Francie Calfo
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
- David Anders as Julian Sark
- Derrick O'Connor as Alexander Khasinau
- Joseph Ruskin as Alliance Member Alain Christophe
- Wolf Muser as Alliance Member Ramon Veloso
- Kamala Lopez Dawson as Oncologist Dr. Lemon
- Amy Irving as Emily Sloane
- Philippe Bergeron as Alliance Officer Lucques Trepanier
- Christopher Dukes as Alpha Team Leader
- Yvans Jourdain as Second Door Guard
- Angela Nogaro as Make-up Artist
- Tom Waite as Russian Interrogator
- Ken Feinberg as Mr. Sark's Driver (uncredited)
- Greg Grunberg as Eric Weiss (uncredited)
- When Will is undercover in Paris, CIA gave him the name Patrice Laffont. In France it's actually the name of a famous presenter.
- Sodium pentothal, a.k.a. the "Truth Serum," is commonly used to extract information form prisoners in this kind of shows. However, while under the effect of the drug, the patient may lose his inhibitions, but he does not lose self-control, which means that Will would not have told anything he did not want to.
- Sloane says Sark is "on a trans-Atlantic flight" after escaping from the nightclub with Khasinau. So Sark flew from Paris, to America, then back to Geneva rather than more logically flying from Paris to Geneva.
- Los Angeles Theatre - 615 S. Broadway, Downtown, Los Angeles, California, USA
- "Autumn Leaves" by Jacintha
- "Since I Fell For You" by Sydney Bristow and Jennifer Garner
- "Just Like You" by Maren Ord
Allusions and ReferencesEdit
- Arvin Sloane: It seems Mr. Sark’s loyalty to Khasinau ended the moment we kidnapped him.
- Eric Weiss: (to Vaughn about Sydney) I know you genuinely care for her, I do too, but there's a line we've sworn not to cross... we're about a mile past that line.
- Will: Syd... I don't love you because of what you do, or what you don't do. I just love you.
|Alias Season 1||Season 2 >|
|#01||Pilot||#07||Color-Blind||#13||The Box (Part 2)||#19||Snowman|
|#02||So It Begins||#08||Time Will Tell||#14||The Coup||#20||The Solution|
|#03||Parity||#09||Mea Culpa||#15||Page 47||#21||Rendezvous|
|#04||A Broken Heart||#10||Spirit||#16||The Prophecy||#22||Almost 30 Years|
|#06||Reckoning||#12||The Box (Part 1)||#18||Masquerade|